Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Young Preacher

Below is Josiah's first sermon. His rhetorical skills are superb. He deals well with the distraction of the young child who keeps invading the pulpit. He needs to work on staying on subject. But all in all, great sermon!




Here's the Transcript: "Turn your Bibles on... to the book of Ephesians. I am the pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church, and I want you to sit down and listen to me. I want to talk to you about little kids walking on the ceiling and nobody holding you on there... I am the pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church, and I would like for you to come sit down. I would like for you to just sit down... and um... sit back. Can you do that for me please? ... They put nails on him, and they nailed him on the cross, and they threw him into the water... Really did they throw him in the water, daddy? They put him in the tomb, and one day he raised from the dead, and Mary was bringing something to him, and angels said, "Jesus isn't there anymore. He came back." ... Well, I'm pretty tired, so one day we're gonna go home. And one day we're gonna play a game of raising from the dead."

Here's his second attempt at preaching a few minutes later. He's definitely more focused this time.




Transcript: "God made the earth... He made some people... One day when there was a flood, all the dinosaurs died, and they got killed by the flood. and the flood got turned into the ocean, and God turned the flood into the ocean so people can enjoy the ocean. and people can see crabs and find some sea shells and have tons of fun and wade into the deep water... And I would like for you all to sit down." (perhaps he received a standing ovation).

I put Josiah up to this, but the only scripted line was "turn in your bibles to the book of Ephesians," which being interpreted meant: "Turn on your Bibles." Everything else was his own original words, completely unprompted.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Diana said...

This is hilarious! and so cute! I especially like the part where daddy chastises the younger one for "robbing the altar" :-)